It's a powerful word.
I just came across a class journal of mine from high school, and I wanted to share one of its entries here. It doesn't have a date on it, but it was written some time between Jan. 23 and Feb. 15, 2003. My senior year.
I was a 17-year-old starting my last semester of high school. I was waiting to hear back from colleges, wondering where I would end up, what I would do. My "whole life" was ahead of me, and yet I had enough experiences and years to reflect on where I had come from. I was in this middle place, about to jump - looking forward and back. Wondering and waiting.
I hope you connect to at least one of the lines in here. If you do, please share what it means to you.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this poem. It was untitled, but I call it "Sometimes."
- Sometimes life throws you a curve ball.
- Sometimes you're not prepared.
- Sometimes you pretend to be surprised by something, but you were really asking for it all along.
- Sometimes you have to screw up to learn a valuable lesson, and if you've really learned it, you won't go near it again.
- Sometimes you're excited by the future, but you desperately want time to stop because you have no idea what you're going to do.
- Sometimes it takes a long time to figure out who you are, and as soon as you do, you're afraid you've become something you don't want to be.
- Sometimes simple is best.
- Sometimes your best friend is the person who can look at you and, if nothing else, at least understands you.
- Sometimes being understood is what you're really after, and just that fact makes a lot of nonsense go away.
- Sometimes planning is nothing, 'cause doing gets it done.
- Sometimes what you don't have in your dreams and goals looks a lot different when you stop and look at what you've accomplished now.
- Sometimes you wonder if you would be an entirely different person if you changed just a few aspects about yourself.
- Sometimes people just don't care.
- Sometimes you have to care anyways.
- Sometimes the one thing that keeps you going is knowing that people have great expectations for you.
- Sometimes you don't believe you're great until someone tells you you are - someone you trust who can tell you why.
- Sometimes your eyes can say everything you need to.
- Sometimes where you are determines who you'll be.
- Sometimes important memories are forgotten, making you lose a part of yourself.
- Sometimes the least you owe someone is a smile.
- Sometimes love can't be understood.
- Sometimes peace is possible.
- Sometimes you have to be proud of who you are, just because.
- Sometimes you have to risk being stupid, failing, because no one ever did a great thing without letting himself [or herself] go.
There it is.
Which one was your favorite? Which one did you disagree with? I'd love to hear about it below.