Saturday, December 29, 2012

Spain Day 3

This morning my catch-up post took quite a bit of time to write. My friends had to wait for me to eat. By the time I got to where I was supposed to go, they were gone. (I don't blame them. They waited long enough and needed to meet up with a friend.) I felt like a total butthead for making them wait. I asked like 4 people if they had a cell phone I could use, to no avail. I asked for a phone bank or Internet cafe. I found one 2 blocks down. When I got on the Internet, I realized I had no way to contact them via a computer. The app was on my phone and they didn't have wifi (pronounced wee-fee). So I decided to call them instead. The connection was bad so I couldn't hear her well, so I called the lady at the front desk over to speak to my friend. I said - I need to know how to get to my friend. The lady kept shouting into the phone the address where we were. I said no, I am going to her! I need directions to her. She wasn't listening. So apparently I speak Spanish fine but other people don't hear me fine. I asked another lady later where the bathroom was, and she told me, "oh different parts but mostly I'm from Turkey." Um, what?

Later I met up with Sara and Ana and we had a nice dinner. They spent most of the night correcting my Spanish and tomorrow I'll get to help them practice English. At this point I'm more comfortable speaking Spanish in some ways. I find myself saying or typing things in Spanish even when I can use English.

Ok, and here's another scary thing: My phone is starting to autocorrect in Spanish! 'Ta loco.

Tomorrow we go to Alcalá de Henares. That will be fun.

My wise thought of the day:

This whole traveling thing seems too easy. The ticket was expensive, sure. But there's way too much of an upside. I literally knew no one in Spain a month ago. 5 weeks ago I didn't even have a serious thought of going to Spain. And now I couldn't imagine it any other way. These friends I've made feel like we've known each other for years. It makes me wonder what other adventures are knocking on my door down the road. What other people are waiting for me to introduce myself to them, if only I'd step outside my door and move.







No comments:

Post a Comment